This post contains affiliate links and I may earn a commission if you purchase (at no cost to you). See my disclaimer for more information.
The society today attributes success to possession of material things and level of popularity of a person. But is this really true? How many famous and rich individuals end up committing suicide every year? The truth is many of them possess the definition of success but lack a meaningful life. Everyone deserves a life that they will be excited to wake up to and live. True success is living a meaningful life in whatever situation.
In this post, I will highlight 6 things you can do to live a meaningful life.
Here are more posts you might want to read,too:
- How To Be The Most Confident Person in The World.
- How To Build The Best Self Care Routine That Sticks.
- 13 Self Care Night Routine Things To Do Before Bed.
- 7 Healthy Self Care Habits To Do Every Morning.
- 11 Things You Should Never Apologize For
- How To Journal For mental Health.
- 13 Benefits of Journaling Daily.
- How To Love Yourself No Matter What.
- How To Manage Stress in Ten Easy Steps.
Let’s dive right in!
How to live a meaningful life
1. Accept, love and value yourself.
In the process of seeking happiness externally, we mess up ourselves and those around us yet true happiness is found within. You cannot love someone you don’t know. Similarly, you can’t love yourself if you don’t know who you are. Human beings crave three things;To be fully known,loved and accepted.
Loving yourself means recognizing your worth and living your life as authentically as you can. Self love only comes after self awareness and self realization. Take time to know who you are, accept and love yourself. God already loves you just the way you are but it is until you love yourself that you get the power to be all that He wants you to be. It all starts from within.
You can practice self love in the following ways in order to have a meaningful life:
- Take perfectionism out of your life. Most people have a hard time accepting anything less than perfect in their lives. What you can do is quit focusing on the end goal of what you want to be and turn your attention to the actions that you can take to get there soon enough.
- Get rid of negative beliefs about yourself by reading the book Beyond The Power of the Subconscious Mind by C. James Jensen.
- Never call yourself names. Calling yourself hurtful names reduces you from being a human to a single element. You are so much more than that.
- Do not assume that the worst can happen. Not everything goes as planned but that doesn’t mean that you should solely focus on what could go wrong. Believe in yourself enough to know that the best can happen to you.
- List your positive attributes and reflect on them daily.
2. Practice gratitude
Gratitude goes a long way. Thank God for everything. Be thankful for the people present and absent from your life because sometimes people’s absence makes you a better person. Have gratitude for the good days that give happiness, bad days that give experience, worst days that give lessons, and best days that give memories.
Gratitude creates an aura of positive feelings dwindling the pity party that we often create when life is not working out as we desire. It creates peace and happiness, making you a more desirable person to be around. The benefits of practicing gratitude are endless. Taking the time to be thankful for the experiences that you have in your life helps you to have more positive emotions, sleep better, feel more alive, express more compassion and kindness.
Here are a few things you can do to start practicing gratitude and maintain it for the long haul:
- Notice new things that you are grateful for.
- Recognize and plan for the obstacles that might come in the way of you practicing gratitude. For example, if you are too tired in the evening and cannot find the time to practice gratitude, look for a more suitable time when you wouldn’t be very tired.
- Think of other people as you build your gratitude. Being thankful for the people you have in your life and the experiences that you have shared together makes your gratitude more meaningful.
What a better way to have a meaningful life than to be thankful for goodness in your life.
The most powerful decision you can make is to forgive everyone who has hurt you in any way. Only by freeing the other person ,in your mind,by forgiving him or her can you be free yourself. Just imagine how you would feel if you had no anger towards anyone in the world. Imagine being a warm,friendly, loving person filled with serenity. Yeah, you can have it too.
Often, we carry around guilt because we don’t forgive ourselves. We are so quick to utter hurtful words towards ourselves yet we can’t do that to someone’s face. You make mistakes and you will never be perfect. But that doesn’t mean that you have to batter yourself. Forgive yourself too. You need it.
4. Take calculated risks
What would you do if you weren’t afraid? Imagine reaching your last day full of pain at the realization that you never took any bold risks and so you never experienced any bold rewards. The more you risk the more you reduce your fear of failure.
But it’s not any risk that is worth taking. It needs systematic planning and evaluation. Don’t just start a business because you are taking a risk. That’s stupidity. Only take risks that the reward surpasses the risk itself. Yes, it’s good to start something but do your homework first.Not everything is worth risking for. Even people.
5. Wake up early
There will be plenty of time to sleep once you are dead. Getting up early is one of the intelligent daily practices that people with meaningful lives perform with acute consistency. Your bed is a comfortable place but nothing good ever grows there. Get up, read that book you always procrastinate to read,call that person you always tell that you are busy,do that morning run you ought to do or learn that language you want to know. Just do something meaningful and make a difference.
What will waking up early do for you?
You might think that waking up early will leave you feeling tired because you have denied yourself a few hours of sleep. However, this is not the case. As long as you have slept the required hours, you will not feel tired at all. In fact you will:
- Begin your day energized and excited which allows you to realize your capability.
- Arm you with gears to conquer any challenges.
- Allow you to quit settling and attain what you truly deserve.
- Aid you to realize your purpose and start living it.
- Equip you with tools to help you start earning more.
- Help you shift your mentality from worry to gratitude.
- Allows you to be more constructive and alert.
- Help you increase your mental and physical health.
- Allows you to reduce your stress levels.
You can and will experience all these if you only allow yourself to begin your day right. Anything is achievable as long as you put in enough effort to allow you to achieve the desired outcome.
Your bed is a comfortable place but nothing good ever grows from it. Besides, you will have plenty of time to sleep once you are dead. I have written a detailed post of how you can wake up early without an alarm.The points will get you waking up by yourself in no time. Click here to read it.
6. Care and support others.
Your legacy is the number of lives you touch. Our real strength is in caring and supporting others. If you want to be happy go help others. Put a smile on that street child, feed the homeless, sympathize with everyone and just help.
Prisoners are human beings too. There are so many kids in this world who need acceptance. Give it to them. Being happy for someone’s else’s success makes you happier. Go try it and stop being so salty. It brings so much fulfillment and happiness to life. It gives meaning.When you die, what will we remember you for. The wealth you will have created wouldn’t make much of a difference when you are six feet underground. All that matters is how you made people feel. Be the voice for the hopeless. Prove that this world still has some good in it.
The best gift that you can give to anyone is your time because people make time for what is important to them.
Don’t miss a thing!
Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest. Or why not subscribe to Kamencu Nelly newsletter and get personal development, mental health and lifestyle tips straight to your inbox every week?
If you have enjoyed reading this post, I would appreciate it if you share it with your friends and family.
Pin this post to read later!