Are you tired of snoozing your alarm when you want to wake up early? Does it seem that becoming a morning person is a dead end for you? Do you want practical tips to help you wake up early in the morning without an alarm?
This post is just what you need to read today. I will highlight 10 things that you can start doing today to help you wake up early in the morning without an alarm.These tips are practical and can be applied by anyone. They have worked for me and I know that with discipline they will work for you too.
3 years ago, I was depressed and unfocused and didn’t know where my life was heading. I began having suicidal thoughts and had lost hope. It wasn’t until I got rejected by a man who I thought would save me that I realized that I needed to level up. My dad had sent me the book Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life by Brian Tracy to read but I kept procrastinating.
The pain of being rejected later made me want to read the book that was mind awakening. I started waking up early to exercise which always left me feeling happy. I then began reading personal development books, journaling, meditating and practicing gratitude. It was a new experience that totally changed my life. I not only overcame depression but also took charge of my life and started living the life I always wanted.
It all started with me waking up early and following a morning routine. I want to help you too learn how you can stop elying on your alarm to wake you up.
Here are a few related articles you might want to read:
- 12 Reasons you wake up feeling tired everyday and how to not feel tired after waking up.
- 8 things you should never do in the morning.
- 7 healthy habits to do in the morning before work.
- How to wake up early and not feel tired
- Morning Routine Ideas That will Make you Want to Wake Up Early.
- How to Start an Effective Morning Workout Routine.
With that’s said, let’s dive right in!
How To Wake Up Early Without an Alarm
Before you get too excited with the title, I need to give you this disclaimer. No amount of biological clock will help you wake up if you are exhausted. Your body isn’t a robot and there is no way you would expect it to wake you up early without an alarm when you are tired. That means that you need to sleep well in order for these tips to work.
What do I mean when I say sleep well?
I understand that we all have different sleeping needs and what works for me might not be your preference. What I mean when I say that you sleep well is, that you get enough and uninterrupted sleep. If you feel that sleeping 8 hours is enough for you, then sleeping well means that you need to sleep all those hours without being interrupted. However, if you don’t, its going to lead to sleep deprivation which is not healthy for you. Some of the effects of sleep deprivation are:
- It lowers your level of alertness.
- You become sleepy and tired during the day.
- It affects your ability to think,remember and process information.
- You experience relationship stress because you are more likely to have conflicts with others.
- Your quality of life deteriorates hence you are less likely to participate in normal activities like exercise.
What then can you do to improve your sleep quality if you have a hard time falling and staying asleep?
- Keep a consistent wake time. This also includes the weekends and holidays. Sleeping and waking up at the same time consistently builds up the desire for sleep and lowers your chances of experiencing insomnia. But you need to avoid sleeping in as it makes you alter your sleep pattern and you tend to not get sleep when you are supposed to be asleep. There are more hacks you can use to sleep instantly at night. I have outlined a detailed guide on hacks that you can use to sleep instantly at night in this post.
- Put away smart phones and tablets.
- Treat getting enough sleep as important as taking your medicine.
- If you do wake up during the night, avoid looking at the clock. The minute you look at the time, your mind begins mentally calculating the number of hours you have been asleep and what you need to to do in the morning which can cut down the number of hours that you need to sleep.
Now that we are on the same page, we can discuss the steps you can do to wake up early in the morning without an alarm.
1. Manipulate your surroundings to make waking up easier.
When you create an environment whereby you can easily wake up, your chances of doing so get higher. For instance, if you are supposed to wake up to exercise, set your exercise gear at a position where you can see it. When your exercise clothes are the first thing that you see after waking up, your chances of waking up to exercise increase.
De-cluttering and arranging your room also play a big role in waking up. If you are supposed to wake up to a clean room daily,your motivation increases. This plays a big role especially when you wake up to study. No one wants to stay on a messy study table. Taking the time to arrange it and prepare the books that you are supposed to use mentally prepares your mind for reading first thing in the morning.
Getting your alarm away from your bed will help you get out of bed when it rings. It is the best way to manipulate you to wake up.
2. Place a glass of water next to your bed.
After sleeping for more than 6 hours without drinking water, your body tends to be dehydrated. This means that you will wake up thirsty. After waking up, if your first sight is a glass of water, your natural instinct will tell you to drink it. This will help you wake up.
Drinking water might be followed by an urge to pee which creates motion. Walking to the toilet will shake you awake. By the time you want to go back to bed to sleep a little longer, you will be already awake.
3. Give yourself a strong reason to wake up
Waking up is a mentality. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WAKE UP TO THEN YOU WILL NOT WAKE UP EARLY. It might be an obsession you have to achieve your goals, an examination you want to ace or weight loss that you desire. Look, that’s going to wake you up early and you will not need an alarm clock after some time. That deep desire within you is going to make you kick your duvet and get mired into the morning cold. That’s going to make you feel like it’s Christmas morning daily. It’s going to kick start your adrenaline to keep going despite of the obstacles.
So give yourself a strong reason to wake up each morning and soon enough, you will be doing it without an alarm. Your wake up goal should get you excited. If you associate your waking up goal to something negative, your mind is going to make it impossible for you to wake up. For instance, If you want to wake up to exercise because you want to lose weight, but you keep thinking that exercise will wear your body down and you will get exhausted, chances are that you won’t wake up.
However, if you want to wake up early to exercise for weight loss and you believe that losing weight will help you feel and look good, chances are ,you will wake up excited to exercise.
4. Use affirmations
The words you continually tell yourself before bed play a role in how you wake up. Your last thought before sleeping is usually the first thought you have after waking up. Therefore, using affirmations to your advantage can help you wake up early in the morning without an alarm clock.
Every time I go to bed telling myself that I will wake up at 4:00am and having unwavering faith that it will happen always results in me waking up at that time. Most times, I find myself awake even before the time reaches. Affirmations are that powerful. I am currently reading a book by C. James Jensen with the title Beyond The Power of The Subconscious Mind. The author has clearly stated that “…Whatever your subconscious mind assumes and believes to be true ,your subconscious mind will accept and bring it to pass….If you want to enhance your performance or alter your behavior on any area of your life,you must simultaneously embrace the mental picture of the accomplishment and hold it tight to you as an imagined end result….”
This book has taught me so much about using affirmations to my advantage. I practically use the concept to help me wake up early without an alarm and I know that it will help you too. Click here to see it.
5.Wake up to sunlight
If you sleep next to a window, you have probably been woken up with the sunlight rays. Light tells the body that it’s time to stop producing melatonin, a hormone that helps you sleep. If you are able to sleep next to a window that brings in light, your chances of waking up early without an alarm are guaranteed. However, if you are unable to,especially during winter, I would recommend that you get light installed in your bedroom which go on at dawn.The best light to use is Philips SmartSleep HF3520/60 Wake-Up Light Therapy Alarm Clock with Colored Sunrise Simulation and Sunset Fading Night Light, White. The reason why it is the best to use is because it has the following feature:
- Light therapy lamp and natural sunrise alarm clock for improving your sleep, energy, and well being
- Philips’ #1 best-selling wake up light alarm clock. Only Philips wake- up lights are clinically proven to help you wake up feeling more refreshed
- Relax and drift off to sleep with dimming sunset and sounds. Colored sunrise simulation alarm clock wakes you gradually with a natural light lamp and a speaker that plays a choice of 5 wake up sounds, or FM radio with tap to snooze
- New PowerBackUp+ feature maintains internal clock settings and back-up alarm for at least 8 hours in the event of power failure
- 90 Day No Hassle Money Back Guarantee from Philips and can be used as a bedside reading lamp with 10 brightness settings
- Power Output: 12Watt ; Voltage: 100/240 Volt ; Cord length: 150 cm
I highly recommend that you purchase this lamp to help you sleep and wake up with ease especially during winter. Click here to see it.
6. Do not eat at least 3 hours before sleep
When you allow yourself some time after eating before sleeping, you allow your body to be ready to rest when you sleep. This in turn helps you to sleep instantly at night which positively impacts your sleep quality.
Your body will get enough sleep and wake up when it is supposed to. Also, hunger might help you wake up. Remember to not immediately eat and drink coffee after waking up. I have explained why in my rich article on 8 things that you should avoid doing in the morning.
7.Take it one step at a time
You will not immediately start waking up early in the morning without an alarm. So do not be too hard on yourself and wear yourself down trying to get it right. Remember what I said about not being able to wake up if you are exhausted.
Patience is a virtue which will help you get to where you want to be which brings me to my next point,
8. Set your alarm one minute earlier each second day till you have reached your goal.
In the spirit of taking one step at a time, set your alarm one minute earlier each second day till you have reached your goal.If your goal is to wake up at 5:30am, your start time should be 6:30am. This is how it would go:
- 1st day-6:30am
- After two days-6:29am
- 5th day-6:28am
- Continue with this trend until you reach your goal of waking up at 5:30am.
This method works because you will not be making drastic changes to your life which might negatively impact you. If you continue with this trend until you reach your goal, you will find waking up early without an alarm easier.
9. Know what quantity of sleep you will need
We all have different lives and what works for me might not work for you. The number of hours a person needs to sleep cannot be truly determined since it varies in every individual and their basic needs. However, most healthy adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best. Just because you can go about your life sleeping only for six hours doesn’t mean that you are getting enough of it.
If you personally believe that you need seven hours of sleep to feel like you have slept well, then when you get six hours of sleep, you will keep feeling like you haven’t slept well hence you will wake up feeling tired.
The connection between your mind and body is very powerful. What you keep telling yourself ultimately becomes your reality. If you tell yourself that you need eight hours of sleep , then you get into bed at midnight and wake up six o’clock in the morning, you will wake up feeling like you have not had enough sleep hence increasing your likely hood of snoozing your alarm.
It all comes down to what you feel is important for you. After all, you know yourself better that I do. So it’s up to you to determine how many hours of sleep you need and how early you are ready to wake up.
10. Start a morning routine
A morning routine is a set of actions you perform in the morning usually before starting your day’s main activity. It can be as simple as praying or jogging to reading a book. Whether you are consciously aware or not, you have a morning routine. Those things that you perform immediately after you wake up make up for your morning routine.
Having an effective morning routine helps you wake up early without an alarm.This is because your body gets used to doing the same set of things every day including waking up at the same time. If your morning routine is interesting enough, your wake up motivation increases. There are also a set of activities that you can do to help you wake up much faster. Activities like drinking a glass of water,washing your face and doing exercise to music helps you wake up fully.
Having a morning routine planner will help you create an effective morning routine that sticks.Since I know that creating you can be time consuming for you, I created this 38 page planner for you to save your time and achieve your morning routine goals.
The planner comes with the following:
- Daily morning routine planner with individual pages from Sunday to Saturday to make sure that you are allocating the right morning routine activity for the right day.Page (2-9)
- Weekly morning routine worksheet,glance and activity tracker that will help you observe your weekly morning routine progress.Page(10-13)
- January to December morning routine planner worksheets.Page (14-25)
- There also bonuses that the planner comes with. They include: Self improvement planner,goal planner,goal tracker,goal setting worksheet,vision board,journal,affirmations page,reading,meal and workout planner. Page(25-37)
- Lastly, I created a beautiful printable quote that you can hung on your wall or put on your wall about planning. Waking up to the beautiful quote on your wall will motivate you to plan every area of your life.Page 38
This is planner is what you need to help you wake up early without an alarm. When you go to bed knowing what you are waking up to do the next day, your subconscious mind will help you wake up early without an alarm. This is because, planning is a big motivator for action. Now I wouldn’t want you to miss out on this amazing planner. Click here to get it.