This is the ultimate guide of simple things to do when bored at home alone.
In fact they are so simple that you do not need to sweat or find complex tools to do them. Everything that I have mentioned here is readily accessible and you can do it anywhere and anytime. The best part is it would be so much fun and you wouldn’t notice time passing.
Before we go any further, I need to let you know that you do not have to follow everything written in this post. You are free to choose whatever suits your situation. What works for me may not work for you so feel free to do what makes you happy and comfortable.
Don’t have enough time to read the full post? Download the FREE list of 50 things to do when bored at home alone down below.
50 things to do when bored at home alone
- Take a personality test. There are various meanings about personality out there and it can become confusing at times. Furthermore, there are also many types of personalities according to various people and it would be futile to try and justify which is right or wrong. I believe that it all comes down to what you believe to be right because we all have different ways of looking at things. There are numerous free personality tests out here and it can be draining to find the best that will work for you. However, I have been using a personality test that you can get in my resource library when you join my VIP access for FREE. I loved its structure and how it brought me to a better understanding of who I am.
- Make a birthday wish list. Birthdays are special and everyone loves to celebrate theirs or do something memorable. I bet that there is nobody who doesn’t love to be celebrated or to celebrate themselves. Reaching a new year is not a guarantee. That’s why its important to remind yourself of how far you have come and celebrate the achievement. Making a wish list for your birthday is so much fun. I recently made mine and I couldn’t hold my excitement. Try it out and you wouldn’t notice how time flies. Its a great way of passing time.
- Write a letter to your future self. Your letter can contain anything.Whether you are congratulating yourself for handling the hardships that you are currently going through or celebrating the success you would have achieved, its all up-to you. This is a great visualization exercise because it makes you see where you want to be in the future. It doesn’t have to follow a certain format. Its as easy as picking your pen and paper and writing. I know that it might be difficult to write a letter to yourself especially if you are not used to it. Don’t worry. Take your time and flow with the emotions. If you do not feel comfortable after a while, take a break,breathe then get back to it.
- Declutter your old photos on your phone or computer. With the increase of social media usage, our phones and computers are victim to many photographs. Its not uncommon to find ten similar photos taken at one time. This is because we often want to find the “perfect” photo for a Instagram or Facebook post. Taking time to declutter these photos is a great way to pass time. As a side note, I would recommend you to store your photos in a cloud storage for photos like Google Photos. It would help you avoid cluttering your phone or computer with photograph.
- Go through old family photo albums. This is a fun way to kill time because it would make you laugh and remember where you have come from.
- Make and update your bucket list. If you have never made a bucket list for yourself then you do not have to stay bored anymore. It is a random thing to do when bored.
- Review your week ,day, month or year. Taking time to review your performance in the past day, week or year is important as it helps you to know where you can improve in the coming days.
- Test old pens and throw away old ones. Clear your pen clutter and leave room for pens that work on your desk.
- Update your resume and portfolio. You never know where you will meet your next client or employer so take your time to update your resume or portfolio.
- Make a list of all the things that you have learnt so far in your life. You have gone through so much in your life. This means that you have learnt a lot too. Making a list of everything that you have learnt so far is among the fun things to do when bored alone.
- Learn a new language in Duolingo. Have you been intrigued to learn a new language? Why not learn one in Duolingo which has over 30+ languages online with bite-size lessons based on science. Its a great way to pass time.
- Read a book that has been sitting on your shelf for a while. There are so many benefits of reading books. If a book has been lying on your shelf for a while and you are looking for a random thing to do when bored, reading the book will help you kill time. You are not limited to only reading books that you have on your shelf. There are various guides for books to read when bored like this one.
- Make a book reading wish list. If you have a list of books you have been eyeing for a while, jotting them down in a book reading wish list is a fun thing to do when bored.
- Unsubscribe from mailing lists. Our emails have never been crowded like the times we live in. Therefore, taking time to unsubscribe from unhelpful mailing lists is a great way to pass time and clear email clutter. Or you could also subscribe to helpful email lists like mine over here.
- Delete old emails. If an email is no longer useful in your inbox then its best to pass time by deleting it especially when you have nothing to do alone.
- Watch documentaries about a topic that you are curious about. Documentaries of topics that you are curious about are fun to watch which helps you pass time.
- Update passwords. Are you unable to remember your passwords and have a few minutes to spare? Then take your time to update them.
- Do a life audit. This article would help you understand what a life audit is and how you can do it.
- Listen to calming music. This is very useful especially when doing a life audit, review or meditation. It can help you express your emotions through writing or process it.
- Do a home spa day. Take advantage of your boredom and make a bubble bath for yourself and create a magical spa date.
- Rearrange the furniture in your room/house. Try rearranging the furniture in your home and you might fall in love with the new style.
- Make a photo wall. You will love these beautiful ideas to display your photos.
- Choose pictures you want to print and print them out. After deciding how you want to display your photos, its now time to choose the photos that you want to print out. This is a fun things to do to pass time because you get to remember all the memories that each picture brings.
- Create a weekly meal plan. There is nothing more engaging than creating a meal plan. You have to think about the ingredients, plan your grocery shopping and cook the meal. The best part is its fun to do.
- Create a mood playlist. This activity will engage you so much that you won’t notice time flying by. You will have to listen to the song and identify which emotion that song is bringing out of you. You then are ably to classify the songs that bring the same emotions into a mood playlist.
- Deep clean your room/house. According to me, there is nothing more satisfying than deep cleaning your room or house. Its my favorite activity to do when bored. Knowing that my room or house is dirt free is confidence boosting. So if you have nothing to do and you feel bored, take advantage and deep clean your house/room. Take away the clutter, dust your shelves and clean each and every part of the room/house. You will love the whole process.
- Make a scrapbook journal from souvenirs of trips. If you have traveled anywhere, then you probably have a souvenir of the place. I love collecting currency note or coins of different countries that I have traveled to and having a souvenir book with them is beautiful. Unfortunately, I haven’t made one so far but I will be sure to make one the next time I will be bored at home alone.
- DIY something pretty for yourself, friend, family or your home. I recently made a DIY wall hanging for my family and they loved it. I loved the whole process and how fun it was. There are various You tube tutorials that can teach you how to make anything from a bed to a chair or as simple as a card. I have personally learnt how to crotchet from You tube and I have so far made a beautiful scarf,beanie and hat for myself. Currently, I am making a mat whenever I am free and its been a fun experience for me. You can also pass time with DIY projects.
- Rearrange your wardrobe. Sometimes we get so busy until choosing an outfit becomes a big deal. That’s why making the most out of our free time to rearrange our wardrobe can be very beneficial. You not only have an opportunity to match your outfits according to your schedule but also identify if you need to do a wardrobe upgrade or not.
- Up cycle old clothes. Here are some up cycle projects that you will love doing with your old clothes.
There are 20 more points in this cheatsheet down below. Click here to download the entire 50 points cheatsheet or sign up below.