This post contains affiliate links and I may earn a commission if you purchase (at no cost to you). See my disclaimer for more information.
Have you ever been too busy to practice self-care during the day? Your work is always keeping you on toes and you can’t find the perfect balance between self-care and work? Are you looking for self-care ideas to practice at night before bedtime?
This post is just what you need to give you ideas on simple ways to incorporate self-care into your routine without stretching yourself too much. Self-care is not rocket science. You do not have to travel to the Himalayan hills to meditate for you to feel like you are taking care of yourself. Instead you can practice simple activities that will have a profound impact on you which is also time saving.
Before we go any further, If you have no idea how to plan your self care routine, check out this post on how to create the best self-care routine.
I am also giving away a FREE self care planner. You can grab it over here.
What’s the big deal about having a self–care routine at night?
Self-care might be a new concept to you but it definitely worth your time and effort especially when you incorporate it with your night time routine. The benefits of having a self-care routine at night are:
- It helps you sleep better. I do not know about you but I appreciate a good night sleep and if self-care is going to give me that then I am up to the task of seeing myself having a peaceful night.
- It helps you get rid of stress after a long day. Some days are stressful and we all look forward to having a quiet time to de-clutter the stressful thoughts and activities. Self care not only helps you get rid of stressful thoughts, but also prepares you for the next day by giving you a good mood.
- It gives you something to look forward to. Having a self-care routine that gets you excited just by thinking about it is what you should aim for especially if you practice activities that you enjoy.
- It helps you stay consistent. If you want to ace the game of self-care then you need to develop one quality; consistency. The motivation you have when you are first staring out is amazing. It makes you go to extents that you did not think that you could reach but it doesn’t last. Some days you do not want to do anything for yourself and the procrastination game can do you more harm than good. That’s why I recommend you to read the book Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy that will help you quit procrastinating. You can access it here.
Related Post: How to overcome procrastination right now!
Now that we have that sorted out, let’s talk about self-care ideas that you can practice during your night time routine.
What are the best self-care tips to practice at night?
Below are a few self care tips that you can practice at night. Note that you should choose what works best for you. I do not guarantee for any of the tips below to fit your particular situation. For more information, please check my disclosure here.
1. Take a hot shower or a relaxing bubble bath.
I believe that this is the most effective form of taking care of yourself. Every time I take a shower after a long day, its like I wash away all my stressful thoughts and give myself a break. The best part is it allows you to sleep instantly at night. I wrote more about sleeping instant hacks that you can start practicing today. Read it here.
2.Write down 3 good things about yourself or how your day has been in your journal.
Writing with your pen or pencil on your journal has been proven to have a meditative effect. It is also a way of affirming and reminding yourself that you are still there for you even when things get tough. Bonus point is that it helps you see your life in a more positive perspective. You can check awesome journals here.
3. Read a chapter of a book.
You don’t have to limit yourself to only one chapter. You can go ahead, be a badass and read a whole book if you are up to the task. Having trouble finding the right book to read? Don’t worry, there are various book you can read depending on your favorite niche but since you are reading a personal development blog I think you would be interested in reading this book by Robin Sharma called The Leader Who Had No Title. Check it out here.
4. Go on a solo date.
Most people are afraid of being alone and they assume that doing things alone would be boring. I have a quick question for you. If you think spending time alone would make you feel bored, what makes you think that you would enjoy another person’s company? Get out of your bubble and start doing more things on your own. You will be surprised at how much you can learn about yourself. It gives you time to reflect on your life and get new perspective about you.
RELATED POST:How to love yourself no matter what.
5. Watch your favorite movie or Television show
This is a great way of enjoying the things that you love. But don’t overdo it. You might end up procrastinating on important things or getting enough sleep.
6. Dance to your favorite music.
I normally do this when I am taking a shower and I can guarantee that it makes you feel happy. As long as you are listening to it without disturbing anyone around you, why not give it a try.
7. Get a massage.
Its not everyday you get treated like the queen you and if you have a chance to do, do it to the fullest. I know that it might be a little bit out of your budget but look at it in this perspective. When you feel great about yourself, you will be more productive, confident and happy which will have a positive impact on your career, relationships or school work.
8. Listen to relaxing music or a motivation podcast.
Listening to a motivation podcast is a great way to get you motivated in whatever area you are passionate about. It not only gets your adrenaline level high but it helps you keep focused on things that are your priority. I love listening to Jay Shetty’s podcast. It helps me practice self care and mindfulness whenever I can.
Relaxing music is one of the best ways to help you fall asleep instantly if you struggle with it. My favorite relaxing music to listen to is rain songs since it helps me sleep instantly. You can find these kind of songs in soundcloud.
9. Get at least 8 hours of sleep
I never knew the advantages of getting 8 hours of sleep until I started practicing it. I noticed that I was more productive during the day and my concentration level was at its epitome. I know that sometimes you can get so busy until you aren’t able to get enough sleep and that’s okay. If you can do anything to increase your chances of getting enough sleep, it doesn’t hurt to give it a try. For instance, if you spend too much time scrolling through your social media before you sleep, you can sacrifice doing that and prioritize your sleep instead.
10.Try a DIY project
This is one of the most exciting things to do in the evening. The satisfaction of knowing that you have made something on your own is so fulfilling. Its even better if you get to do it with your friends and family since it helps you to bond which leaves you feeling happy and raises your confidence level. Give it a try.
RELATED POST: 6 daily habits to help you be more confident.
11. Light your favorite candle of essential oils
When you light a candle when you are reading in the evening or doing your self care routine, you get a relaxing,wonderful and soothing atmosphere. It makes your home or space an oasis from the frenzied world outside. Check out candles that have essential oils over here.
12. Set up your outfit for the next day and what you intend to do.
Choosing your outfit for the next day the night before is one of the best ways to take care of yourself. It not only gives you an idea of how you would look like but it also gives you a head start if your clothes are in order. You do not want to walk around with a torn or stained cloth. That is a big confidence crusher. You will also save a lot of time maneuvering around your closet looking for an outfit.
Setting an intention for the next day make you look forward to it. Setting up a lunch date or a visit to the mall is an iota of the things you can plan to d.
13.Stretch and practice mindfulness
We are always walking around thinking about the work that you have to complete or the relationship that is not working. Rarely do we enjoy the moment that we are in or be present. That’s why practicing mindfulness is important. You can achieve this by practicing meditation.
If you aren’t afraid of jogging or stretching outside in the evening, then you can go outside and get your body moving. Other options are yoga or doing breathing techniques.
Should self care be more of a priority in your life? Do you struggle to make self care a priority in your life because:
- You have a busy life and you just don’t seem to get enough time to practice self care.
- You spend too much time caring for everyone else and everything around you except yourself.
- Your self care time doesn’t seem to be productive.
- You do not know what self care activities to practice or how often to do them.